What happens once a referral is received?
1. An initial meeting is organised with parents to clarify the referral issue, desired outcomes of the service, gain informed consent, and sign a service agreement.
2. The assessment process starts and may include (but is not limited to):
- Interview with key family members or guardians
- Questionnaires or rating scales for parents or educators to complete
- Meeting with school team
- Communication with relevant agencies and support networks involved with student
- Conversation with student
- Observations across settings (e.g. classroom, playground, home)
- Review of relevant education, health and welfare documentation
- Looking at work the student has been doing in class
- Administration of psychometric tests or other assessment tools as indicated.
3. Assessment findings are then analysed, interpreted and written up into a report that describes the young person’s strengths and weaknesses, along with suggestions for intervention.
4. Feedback meeting is held with whānau and/or school team (if requested).
Where does the assessment happen?
Clients tend to be more relaxed when assessment occurs in a familiar environment. So we come to you – whether that’s at home or in the young person’s educational setting. If you’re in the Napier/Hastings area there is no charge for travel time or mileage. We are happy to negotiate a flat fee for travel beyond the boundaries of Eskdale, Te Awanga, Havelock North, Bridge Pa and Fernhill.
How much does it cost?
Our fees are based on the time taken to complete the assessment process, produce the report and provide feedback. This will vary depending on the individual needs of different children and the level of assessment required. At the initial meeting a service plan will be agreed and a fixed cost quoted so you’ll know upfront what the charge will be before assessment starts. As a guide, a comprehensive cognitive and educational assessment report, including most of the items listed above, will cost around $1200 (GST inclusive).
Payment terms – An invoice for the full fee will be sent out on completion of assessment. The student’s report will be released within five working days of this payment being received.